Founded in Orange in 1890 as the First Unitarian Church of Essex County, the congregation has worshipped in the present Sanctuary since its construction in 1893. The Church continues the ministry of the Union Universalist Society, which was founded as the First Universalist Society of Newark in 1834.
Our Church today is home to a relatively small but diverse membership. Our typical Sunday includes a sermon by our minister or a thoughtful program by church members or a guest speaker, while our children have their religious education classes in the parish hall or Hale House. After the service and classes conclude, the entire community gathers for refreshments and fellowship in the parish hall. About once per month there is an intergenerational service.
The church year is marked by many special events, from Ingathering in September to Flower Communion in June.
Our congregation, like all Unitarian Universalist congregations, is self-governing. We elect officers and trustees annually. Membership is open to any person who is in sympathy with the purpose of the Church, which is the study and practice of religion in freedom and fellowship. Visitors are always welcome, and may sign up to receive the Church newsletter without becoming members. The expenses of the Church are financed in large part by voluntary pledges from members and friends.
Our congregation helps to support the Interfaith Hospitality Network for the Homeless of Essex County and the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee .